ESITO

Safework

Marble Recruitment

Top Energy

linebelts

Anything to do with Overhead work, Including G&B

linebelts

Postby steve » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:14 am

i notice a push to get all linemen to wear a full harness line belts when climbing poles , would love to know who makes these rules and if they have ever climbed a pole and had to work up there for a few hours , i personally hate full harness line belts !! I would like to know what every one thinks about this subject ? Do you think the guys doing the work should be consulted on any saftey changes in our industry ?
steve

Postby heismyboss » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:17 pm

Yes we should be consulted, but thats apprantly what they did, they got about 15 Lineys over a few years to look at several different belts and try and come up with a super belt.
i cant really comment about the body belts as i havent used one but i am more than comfortable in a full body harness. *makes a mental note to "borrow" the old mans body belt and give it a spin
"what did your last slave die of?"
"Talking back"
heismyboss

Postby otdrmn » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:55 pm

does his belt still work? :lol: :lol: :lol:
otdrmn

Postby squizzy » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:48 am

I myself prefer a full harness with the extra support and attachment points in case of emergency. I can't remember the exact figures but toxic shock is fatal alot quicker in a line belt than in a full harness so wearing one will give you a better chance in an emergency. which is why many companies are going that way.
squizzy

Postby MAD's » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:33 am

Squizzy. The lineman belts over here are just that... Belts. They don't have any groin straps at all so the risk of suspension trauma isn't there with them. I think the ones you are thinking of do have the groin straps.
Work safe ... Go home to your family
MAD's

Postby nigel newton » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:57 pm

we're issued with lineman belts but a couple of the guys have their own full harnesses which i have tried and i'm quite happy to use either. with the amount of work from buckets these days i think full harnesses will be inevitable, i can't see to many companies voluntarily supplying lineys with both a belt and a harness if they don't have to.
nigel newton

Postby heismyboss » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:08 pm

otdrmn wrote:does his belt still work? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Suprisingly enough he can still make it fit (apparantly :shock: )
"what did your last slave die of?"
"Talking back"
heismyboss

Postby bigclive » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:51 am

nigel newton wrote:we're issued with lineman belts but a couple of the guys have their own full harnesses which i have tried and i'm quite happy to use either. with the amount of work from buckets these days i think full harnesses will be inevitable, i can't see to many companies voluntarily supplying lineys with both a belt and a harness if they don't have to.

You can get the full body harness with D-rings integrated.
From zero volts to lightning bolts.
bigclive

Postby chris » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:31 pm

Well without sounding old? how many guys have climbed in full harness and tried applying earths far out behind you without having leads all over you and working out on twelve footers when there isnt a bucket truck and you are building outriggers to reach cockroach or bigger deadends on 33kv lines.Ive done it with both and Harness made it bloody hard work.Take points thou on fall arrest but me im stayin up there ha ha hopefully in my old belt till it expires.
chris

Postby liney » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:19 pm

Yep you are right on chris
liney

full harness

Postby maljosh » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:48 pm

currently have full harness belt' company policy, definatelly help support body better etc but a right pain in the butt if you are on after hrs fault duty or similar and only have to change pole fuse or similar, just about takes longer to put full harness on than do job, our company has no compromise policy, but i feel there should be some scope/common sense to allow a more user friendly body belt to be used in general fault response situations, full body harness definatelly help ease body strain where liney up pole etc most of day even if somewhat restrictive compared to traditional belt.
maljosh

fullharness

Postby glovedone » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:51 pm

I prefer to use a line balt when working off a ladder as there are situations where you can turn around backwards to work doing so makes it easy,er as to a fullbody harness this you can not do.fullbody harness great in bucket apart from getting tangeled in strap!
the glovedone
glovedone

Postby The Shnard » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:39 am

up here in the northern hemisphere we're provided with a belt for climbing, and a full body harness for bucket work. They only allow belts for falls of less than 1 metre because they don't absorb shock. For a bucket we use a harness and lanyard.
The Shnard

Re: linebelts

Postby cjradloff76 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:45 pm

its a matter of choice. i use both and recommend both. just havent tried on the new one yet.
cjradloff76

Return to Overhead Linework