ESITO

Safework

Marble Recruitment

Top Energy

Ants in SF6 switchgear

Anything to do with Underground work, Including Cable jointing

Ants in SF6 switchgear

Postby ShakeyDave » Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:19 pm

Myself and one of my team had an annoying experience recently on an underground HV fault.
We opened the fuse chamber of an ABB SF6 Safelink unit to replace a blown air fuse. Thousands of ants emerged out of the workings of the unit and were a real pain to keep out of the fuse ports whilst performing a fuse change.
Anybody got any bright ideas on how to get a nest of ants out of an ABB SF6 Safelink switch unit without poisoning them or taking the unit apart?
Before you ask, ABB has not come up with a solution either as of yet. Cannot poison the little suckers as the formic acid in thier body's is corrosive and all those ant larve' will still be there. :?
ShakeyDave

Postby squizzy » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:01 pm

Thats a tricky one could you use a air compressor? And force them off without killing them? We have problems with some of our ants here the hungry little pests eat the insulation off the underground cables.
squizzy

Postby bigclive » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:45 am

A vacuum cleaner came to mind, but that wouldn't get them all. :)

I wonder if there is an ant attractant trap that could be used where they enter but don't exit.

Almost completely unrelated, I just got a midge magnet from America. This is a machine that trickles propane through a actalytic converter to crreate a warm plume of carbon dioxide. When biting insects get a whiff they follow it back to what they assume will be a tasty snack and instead get sucked into a net inside. haven't tried it yet.
From zero volts to lightning bolts.
bigclive

Postby squizzy » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:07 am

One of those electric heat guns may do the trick or and LPG torch just toast them but I doubt the environmental officer will appreciate the idea....
squizzy

Return to Underground Linework